Poopy pants

I have been "potty training" Jake since he was 22 months old... and while I am entirely wanting to stay true to not forcing him if he's not ready I'm going insane. He knows exactly how to go potty, almost every time I put him there he does the deed, he knows before he has to go, but it seems he only goes in the potty when I ask him to. Otherwise he's just to dang busy! Apparently the potty is just not cool or a little scary, they should come out with car or bball shaped toilet seats.

I was waiting to put him in big boy underwear until he was potty trained, so he had something to look forward to, but it wasn't motivating enough. I've heard a good idea is just to throw them in big boy undies and they'll get the hang of it cause they'll hate the feeling of being wet. I know a few ppl who this has worked with... and they were boys! So I thought it was worth a try.

Day number one arrives and Jake is super excited for his underwear! I take him to the potty every 25 min and he goes once, then I forgot to take him and he wet his pants - oops! He told us mid pee. Then he did great peeing all afternoon, even peeing at a restaurant - in the toilet of course ha ha.
However, we then went to Value Village where I wanted to get some kids books, only to be greeted with a giant POO...in the pants, not the potty. It was disgusting and smelly. But he did so well most of the day I am going to try again tomorrow... oh the joys of parenting! He actually often seems a little scared of the potty so if you have had a child who is scared of the potty, but knows what to do let me know if you have any super great advice that worked! Two sets of diapers is pricey!

Comments

Mandi Bartel said…
I'm on the potty training "journey" too...I got to experience a big poop while shopping yesterday! oh the joy :) But just think how great it will be when it actually works more than 80% of the time!! Those are the thoughts that keep me going.

m
Anonymous said…
Tara, good luck, it can be frustrating when they are so close and yet so far. My girls were scared of pooping on the potty, pee was fine but they would wait until nap or bed time to poo when they had a daiper on. Once I was convinced that they knew when they were about to poo we did a little "poop treat" so if they pooped on the potty they got something little, I think it was one corn pop with Emme and maybe a fruit snack for Cheyanne. Once it was an always on the potty thing I just let us run out of poop treats and that was the end of it. I also made Cheyanne a sticker chart where she could place stickers on it when she went to the bathroom. It seemed to help, but the novelty of stickers did wear off but if he is close to getting it, they might help. Good Luck!! Shawna
Whitney said…
Also a fan of the stickers- kids love stickers!
Stacey said…
I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago and read it from time to time. I have a 21 month old boy and we have just started introducing the potty. When I saw that you said you wished you could find a "ball" shaped potty seat... I had to smile. I looked all over for a ball shaped training potty for my little boy James (who loves anything that resembles a ball) and finally found one at Target. It is shaped like a baseball and cheers when you "flush it". We are not completely potty trained...but he loves use the "t-t ball" and listen to it cheer. Just wanted to share with you incase you are interested.
Tara goodluck. Nicholas literally just decided to do it on his own at 3. Has been doing it ever since.
When samantha was training, we used little figures fromt he disney store, they come in a pack of 10 for like $10 or something. everytime she went, she got one of those. It worked. You need to find something that will work and excite him. Otherwise, he might just be like Nicholas who was on his own time frame. I promise you that he will learn, before he goes to kindergarten :)
((HUGS))
Jen
Anonymous said…
my advice, dont go back to diapers!!!!! keep at it! do day 2 and 3 and 4 and he will get it!!!! that is the best advice.....use pull ups at night (or diapers) for a while if u need to though! GOOD LUCK
STEF
Anonymous said…
Hey Tara, I like the idea about finding a ball or car shaped potty! I know there are lots of fun potty seats out there, (Tons of Dora/Diego) and I would guess there are a few "Cars" ones from the movie as well. Also, I don't know if you have a "portable" potty for shopping trips, but I know you can buy those too (they fold up for easy storage, and fit over a regular toilet seat), and they may be less scary than a big toilet. P.S. If automatic flushers on toilets scare him, put a post it note over the sensor while he's going, so it doesn't flush while he's on the toilet. Hope this helps! Good luck :)
Ashlea
Julie said…
I found your blog some time ago, and this is the first I've commented.

When I was potty training my son, someone told me to throw Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, or Cheerios in the toilet as "target practice." It was fun for him, got his mind off the scary toilet, and best of all, it's an easy cleanup!

I also agree with another commenter to just stick with it! It's rough at first, but then once it becomes more routine, it just clicks and becomes much easier.
Unknown said…
Haha, this rather reminds me of my childhood... I was deathly afraid to poo in the toilet and would just hold it for days upon days in lieu of doing it. So my parents gave me little prizes to get me going... Such as circus animals crackers, a little mermaid umbrella and the like. I've also babysat children who earned cool stickers each time they went in the potty without incident.
I think the reward system can be very effective.
Tricia York said…
I wish I could offer you great advice, but the Lord potty trained Braxton (not kidding!). He was petrified of the potty and we went round and round with him for SIX very long months! One afternoon, I was finally at my wits end and got on my knees and prayed (sounds ridiculous, I know!), but the Lord heard my prayer and answered it! Braxton went on the potty and we haven't had any issues since! It really was a miracle!

Popular Posts